Saturday, November 22

I wanna know if you can see the stars tonight

Ive been getting way too excited about christmas! It isnt even thanksgiving yet and I'm already listening to the xmas jams :/ I know pathetic huh?? Im trying to keep it to a minimal until at least after thursday.

Last weekend I went to this Christmas event that balboa was having. During it they had fake snow falling from the sky and it made me realize how much I miss having a white Christmas. Its hard to make it feel like winter time when its still 80 degrees outside. Last year during this time Wendy and I had a friend who had a cabin up in big bear that we would stay at. Just being up there with the cold, crisp air would put me in the best mood. As much as I love San Diego, I'm a cold weather type of person. Any excuse to wear boots, scarves and hats is good in my book.

Photobucket
catching snowflakes
Photobucket
Photobucket
snowing in san deigo
Photobucket
awkward point at tree
Photobucket
hot chocolate & hanging out with a mean one
Photobucket
i was on the news, autograph anyone?
Photobucket

School is almost over!! This semester has been so insane. Over 20 credits is definitely a handful but somehow its all working out perfect. The only class giving me a litter trouble is accounting and it has a lot to do with my teacher. The more the semester progresses though the more I like him. I feel hes very challenging but thats what makes passing his tests so rewarding. I actually feel like im LEARNING something from his class. You definitely have to work hard in his class to pass. I gave my final speech last week so that class is over. Now its just a matter of showing up for the next few weeks and watching other people awkwardly talk infront of the class for 10 minutes.

Over the week I spent some time on 16th street with the homeless as usual. We do the same route each time so we know majority of the people that post up there. Alpha project has been setting up this tent for the homeless to stay at. They do it every year and it gives a handful (a few hundred) of people shelter and a bed to sleep in during the winter. For the past few weeks we've been talking to people who have been looking forward to hopefully get into this tent. On thursday they had the sign up and all the people that we were talking to that were hoping to get in did. They open the tent on Monday and I couldnt be more happy for them!! Definitely plan on visiting our buddies while theyre in there. Its amazing the type of connection you can build with someone by simply offering a little of your time.

//I didn't take this, but I liked the picture//

So this week after we were done (around 11pm) I realized I couldnt find my car keys (dropped them somewhere along the walk). Its pretty sketchy walking around there that late at night but we went back to do a quick check. Everyone was sleeping but we saw this guy Alabama move a little so we asked him if he'd seen my keys. Alabama has been in and out of jail and is well known on the streets, everyone knows not to mess with him. We had spent awhile talking to him and his girlfriend earlier that night and he was telling us some of his stories from jail, soo interesting. When we asked about the keys, he got out of his bed, put his shoes on and without even any hesitation began waking everyone up in order to help find my keys. "Sister here cant find her keys, have you seen them?? If you hear anything about it let them know Bama is looking for them." He was saying how everyone on that street has eachothers back, and how he considers us to be part of that family. And how much he appreciates everything that we do. I cant even put into words how amazing it was. Just seeing how much he was there to help us out when we needed it. My friend was telling me how I need to be careful walking around and talking to the homeless. And that is true, because there are some people who have let drugs consume their life. But that night just proved how much those people have our backs. They know we're out their to help and I know that if any of them saw someone bothering us they would be there in a second to take care of it. Bamas friend was saying "after everything you guys do for us, if some one saw your keys fall I cant believe they wouldn't stop you and give them to you!! If someone with no money saw a thousand dollars drop from your pocket they better stop you and say excuse me miss, you dropped this.." It just made me realize that, yes, we go out there to give food/water but its so much more than that. We spend a good 45min/hour or more talking to some people and building a connection. You're out their to show them that someone cares about them, show them love, because no one else is.

Anyway, gonna end this entry with that...
XO: JENNiFER

No comments: