Saturday, November 29

indie music

This is taken from the infamous turtlepower blog and perfectly sums up last saturday night for me..

"last night i went to a really small show with the editor of the jen zach digest and some of her friends and it wasn’t bad. this band called pancakes for penguins played and they seemed like they were straight out of little miss sunshine. they brought a big blow up penguin on the stage but they didn’t just bring it out, it was a epic revelation complete with an intense banging of their drums. remember when Russel Crowe comes out of the cage in gladiator and everyones chanting spaniard? it was way more epic than that."

Similar to as drucker said, the band reminded me of something you'd hear playing in the background of an indie film. The opening song to 'Juno" or "Little Miss Sunshine". We all laughed about how ridiculous the beginning was, yet, I can't remember the name of anyone else that was playing that night. So props to them for originality.



Thanksgiving was good. I woke up early and burned some calories at lake mira mar prior to devouring a weeks worth of food. Then I had signed up to volunteer with Horizon and help make Thanksgiving more memorable for those in need. They offered a meal, haircuts, showers, backpacks full of every day necessities, manicures, feet washing, help with resumes.... (list goes on). But when I got there they already had enough people. Which is awesome though, better to have too much than not enough.

I decided to get some christmas shopping done yesterday on Black Friday and take advantage of some of the sales. I stood in line at one store for at least 45 minutes. The guy infront of me was a nice older man who was saving a spot for his wife as she shopped around. We talked and that helped pass time by while my friend was still searching around the store for what she wanted to get. I'm sure many of you heard about this but incase not..

"At a Wal-Mart store in Valley Stream, Long Island, an employee died after being trampled by 'out-of-control' shoppers who broke down the doors at a 5am sale." (full article)

So ridiculous. Crazy wal-mart shoppers...

No comments: